Perhaps you remember around fashion week when I got that amazing haircut from Butterfly Studio Salon in NYC — a truly fabulous experience with incredible results! I recently received some tips on how to ‘weatherproof’ your hair from Butterfly Studio Salon’s Kattia Solano, the owner/founder/expert stylist who was featured in a hair segment on Good Day NY regarding preparing your coif for the unavoidable rainy/snowy days. I thought her tips were pretty good – good enough to share with the lovely FPD readers! The advice is broken out by hair type and accessory (hats or hoods)- enjoy!
TIP 1: WAVY/CURLY HAIR – HOW SHOULD YOU WEAR A HAT?
- Hair around the frame of the face gets the most frizzy, especially for those with wavy and curly hair
- Kattia suggests applying the Rahua Finishing Treatment to damp hair, leaving hair shiny and frizz-free, and then creating a simple braid across the hair line – from left mid-brow to behind the right ear
- This simple technique will allow the hair around the frame of the face to remain groomed and in place, with minimal frizz, under a fashionable hat
TIP 2: STRAIGHT HAIR – HOW SHOULD YOU WEAR A HAT?
- In order to minimize frizz and flyaways, Kattia suggests creating a side ponytail and/or a neat braid
- With the help of an anti-frizz serum, such as the Kerastase OLEO-RELAX Serum, even under a hat, this style will maintain its form
- Kattia also suggests tucking the ponytail under a scarf to keep all hair hidden from the rain and snow
TIP 3: JACKETS WITH HOODS – HOW TO MAKE YOUR HAIR LOOK IT’S BEST
- Hoods typically aren’t as constricting as hats and are sometimes easier to protect hairstyles from inclement weather
- Kattia suggests sectioning hair in four quadrants and creating loose pincurls, secured with large bobbypins and sprayed with a holding/texture spray such as the Shu Uemura Liquid Fabric
- These pincurls will be hidden and protected under the hood of the coat
- Once at your final destination, these four bobbypins can easily be removed to reveal bouncy and voluminous waves