Just when we finally have mastered our skinnies, wide leg pants have made their comeback and resurfaced in a major way on the runways. I finally bought a pair of wide leg jeans and in wearing them, felt a renewed and revived sense of style! In order to make your look appear effortless when transitioning to this new shape, we are offering up some of our best tips on wearing… scratch that– rocking wide leg pants.
How to Rock Your Wide Leg Pants:
1. Length– The pants should not be dragging along the ground, but ideally should not be any higher than an inch off the floor either (when wearing heels or flats). You’ll want your cute shoes to peek out, yet not be completely on display.
2. Tops– Stick to form-fitting tops or something you can tuck in. A cropped jacket adds structure. It’s best to define the waist (belts look great with wide legs!). The width and span of fabric is on the bottom of the silhouette, and the goal is to keep it that way.
3. Shoes – Any excuse to wear heels and I’ll take it, however, not everyone feels that way. If you’re comfortable rocking flats (especially if you’re tall with super, long legs then go for it), do it, just remember our rule #1 with length-. For this look, the only absolute NO is a pointy toed shoe. Stick to a rounded toe or open toe pumps or wedges or platforms that are slightly retro without being too literal.
4. Accessories – The pants are making a statement on their own, so it’s best to keep accessories minimal. This doesn’t mean you can’t pair your wide legs with a sleek clutch for night or a structured handbag for day or chunky bangle bracelets. Just don’t go into costumey, overkill mode with too much.
5. Vibe– Wide leg trousers are appropriate for the office, but can also be funky and retro. It’s up to you to decipher the mood you are going for, and what is appropriate. For a business vibe, tuck in a classic, crisp button up. For an edgier look, try a cropped jacket or a simple tee. No matter what look you are aiming for, just be confident in your stride.
Subscribe to the Fashion Pulse Daily Newsletter!