[All images via LensCrafters]
Perhaps with the back-to-school shopping frenzy, you may be itching for a new pair of frames. Where do you start, and how do you know you are investing in a silhouette that won’t be a quick fad, and not to mention, be the best selection for your face shape and complexion? Being an eyeglass wearer for 16 years myself, these are all questions that weigh on my mind. Luckilu, we’ve got Sherry Pounds, Vice President of Product for LensCrafters, to give Fashion Pulse Daily the lowdown on popular trends, picking the best frame for your face, and knowing the proper fit.
Major Eyeglass Trends
- The trends with staying power that we are seeing are retro shapes, colored frames, embellishment and mixed materials.
- With the popularity of television show and movies set in past decades, retro styles are making a comeback this season. The collections are showing a trend in round eyewear, a unique look for both men and women that works best at softening square or angular faces. Retro shapes are increasing in popularity with the semi-rimless style reminiscent of the 60’s era. In addition, the cat eye has seen a major resurgence in recent years and has quickly become a classic style for optical wearers. Nearly every eyewear collection this season includes a cat eye style.
- Color has been a major trend throughout 2012 and eyewear is no exception. Your eyewear is the perfect accessory to add a pop of color to your look. We’re seeing everything from bright bold colors to soft pastels. When choosing the right frame, remember to select a color that works best with your skin, hair and eye color. Your eyewear should complement your personal coloring.
- Over the top embellishments were a key trend on the runways; this translates to eyewear with the precious metal detailing and embellishments on the sides of several frame styles. Whether it is a logo detail, knots, bows or jewels, the eye-catching embellishments and ornamentation on both optical and sunglass frames are calling for more attention this season.
- This year we’ve seen accessories, jewelry, and clothing designed with a combination of metals, animal prints, leather and many other unexpected combinations. The fall eyewear collections are also mixing materials to add to the latest fashion trend. The trend brings an extra bit of luxury by adding style and texture with the use of unexpected materials.
Selecting the Right Frame
- When choosing a pair of glasses, it’s important to choose a pair that complements your face shape. There are two main considerations when picking out a frame: balancing proportions and highlighting your best features.
- To balance proportions, think of opposites. Know what you want to highlight and what you’d rather not call attention to. If you want to draw attention away from one area and direct it toward your eyes, choose a more prominent frame. Your glasses can show off the features you love or distract from what you don’t. Choose a feature that you’d like to highlight and try to replicate its shape or color in your frames.
- If you have bright blue eyes, think about blue frames to help reinforce your best feature. Don’t be swayed by trends, if the latest style doesn’t complement your face shape or personal style, stick with something that is complementary instead of trendy. Consider your brow line, if you have a prominent brow, you may wish to choose a frame that doesn’t compete with that. Something like a rimless style may be your best choice.
-Square faces are best balanced by rounded frames.
– Conversely, round faces need more rectangular shapes or something with a strong horizontal line.
-Oval faces can wear pretty much any shape and can benefit from a larger frame.
-Heart faces can benefit from a larger frame that occupies the fullness of the top half of their face or a frame that is fuller at the bottom.
Ensuring the Perfect Fit
- Glasses should always fit snugly and comfortably. If you find your frames are sliding down your nose or the arms are too loose, visit a skilled optician at LensCrafters who will be able to fine tune the fit of your glasses to ensure that they stay secure.
- If glasses don’t sit properly on your face, you may not be getting the full benefit of your prescription so it’s important to get your glasses fit by a professional. It’s free and just takes a few minutes at LensCrafters.
Great post! Thank you for sharing this. There should be more fashion articles about eyewear since people see your eyes first and eyeglasses are so imporant. Totally agree on new fashion and styles for eyeglasses.
BTW, your readers may also be interested in unique latest 2012 fall shapes as well as Eyeglass styles for kids for fall of 2012 season – we recently posted about that on our blog: http://blog.viziooptic.com/. Hope you find it insightful.
Owner, Vizio Optic Eyewear
[…] your face? And, should you take into consideration your eye color when choosing a pair of glasses? Head over to Fashion Pulse Daily right now to find out! Tags: Eyeglasses, […]
[…] country in 2012. My favorite product offerings from the brand include jewelry, the monogram shop, eyewear, and footwear. Plus the decor of the shop is so artfully whimsical and colorful, it’s hard […]
[…] this deal when I saw an offer via Facebook, which I ignore 99% of the time, but it boasted free eyeglasses (including lenses) which certainly had me intrigued; all I paid for was the shipping, tax, and […]